In this article, we will answer the question “Can you bake a cake in aluminum foil?”, what are the advantages and disadvantages of using aluminum foil pans, and how to make cake in a cooker.
Can you bake a cake in aluminum foil?
Yes, you can bake a cake in aluminum foil. Not only cakes, but you can also bake brownies and cookies in aluminum foil. Baking a cake in aluminum foil is a no-brainer.
You start by greasing the aluminum foil pan with some butter or cooking spray to prevent the cake from sticking. Then line the bottom of the pan with some parchment paper or wax paper. Use a generous size of paper so that it leaves the flangs on the sides of the pan.
The flangs can be used to lift the cake out of the aluminum foil pan. Add cake batter into the foil pan such that it is ½ to ¾ full. Leaving an adequate headspace is important because the cake will rise as it bakes.
Once baked, let the cake drop to room temperature while it is still in the aluminum foil pan. Then lift the cake out of the foil pan or leave it in the pan and decorate it.
What are the benefits of using aluminum foil pans?
Aluminum foil is an excellent heat conductor. Since aluminum foil is soft and malleable, it is highly versatile when it comes to shaping. You can mend it into interesting shapes with a little effort.
Aluminum foil pans are 3-in-1 since they can be used for baking as well as storing and serving your baked goods. Aluminum foil pans can be reused or discarded.
What are the disadvantages of using aluminum foil pans?
You must handle the aluminum foil pans with caution or else they will break. Moreover, used aluminum foils are not easy to clean due to all the creases and folds.
Since the aluminum foil pans are inexpensive, it is easier to discard the used pan. This increases the environmental impact of aluminum pans.
How to make cake in a cooker?
Grease the pan with some butter and line it with parchment paper. Alternatively, you can butter the pan and dust it with some flour. Fill the pressure cooker with sand or salt. Cover it with a plate. Then place a trivet or ring or a hot pot stand on it.
The purpose is to prevent exposing the pan to direct heat. Take off the gasket and the weight from the cooker. Close the cooker and leave it to preheat.
Make cake batter
You can use any of your favorite cake recipes. The standard cake recipe goes as follows:
- In a mixing bowl, combine ¾ cup sugar and 1 cup milk. Let the refrigerated ingredients such as butter, milk, and eggs reach room temperature before using them. This will ensure a fluffy, light, and voluminous cake.
- Whip in ½ cup melted butter or oil. Flavor the butter with 2 teaspoons of vanilla essence. Add 1 ¼ tablespoon of vinegar with 5% acetic acid.
- When the sugar has dissolved, stir in 1 ½ cup flour (190 grams), 1 ¼ tsp baking powder, and 1/ tsp baking soda. Season with some salt.
- Mix everything until just combined. For mixing, a silicone spatula is your best friend but you can use alternatives. Pour the contents of the bowl into the paper-lined baking pan. Tap the pan to pop the air bubbles and place it in the cooker. Bake in the preheated cooker for 50-60 minutes on low.
- Insert a toothpick into the center of the cake to see if the cake is done baking. If it turns out dry with a few moist crumbs, the cake is baked. The presence of raw cake batter on the toothpick is your cue to bake the cake for longer.
- When the cake is baked, leave it on the wire rack, undisturbed, for about 10-15 minutes. Use a knife to detach the cake from the sides. A spatula would also work.
- To make the frosting or icing, melt the chocolate in the double-broiler.
- Pour 2 cups of water into a saucepan. Heat it over medium flame. Set a bowl or pan over the saucepan such that the bottom of the pan is not in direct contact with the hot water.
- Add chopped chocolate into the bowl. Stir until it dissolves.
- When the chocolate is nice and smooth, disassemble the double broiler and leave the chocolate to cool down or reach room temperature.
- Decorate your cake with the prepared chocolate frosting. Top off with chocolate shavings or sprinkles. Serve the cake or refrigerate for up to 4 days. Reheat in the steamer when ready to eat.
In this article, we answered the question “Can you bake a cake in aluminum foil?”, what are the advantages and disadvantages of using aluminum foil pans, and how to make cake in a cooker.