In this brief guide, we will answer the question, “how long after diarrhea can you eat normally?” and discuss what foods to eat after diarrhea.
How long after diarrhea can you eat normally?
The length of time you can eat normally after diarrhea depends on the cause and severity of your illness. Generally, you can continue to eat normally after the symptoms resolve, but it is always a good idea to stick to the BRAT diet for a few days even after the symptoms of diarrhea subside.
- If you have mild diarrhea, you should be able to eat some normal foods like toast or crackers right away.
- If you have moderate or severe diarrhea, wait until your stools have stopped being loose or watery before eating anything else.
- If you have very severe diarrhea (including blood), contact your doctor immediately.
When diarrhea strikes, it can be frustrating to know how long after you can eat normally. The best way to know if you’re ready to eat again is to look at your symptoms and see if they’ve been resolved. If not, then you should wait until they are resolved before eating normally.
The following points should be taken into consideration about your diet when having diarrhea:
- Fiber foods may help with digestion
- Completely avoid fatty foods
- Sugary foods make diarrhea worse
- Coffee can make it worse
- Take medicine when you feel sick
- Washing hands may keep you well
- Follow the BRAT diet to get better
- Yogurt may help reduce diarrhea
- Certain drugs can cause diarrhea
If you have had diarrhea for more than two days, then it’s probably time to contact your doctor about getting help with your condition so that you can feel better fast!
What foods to eat after diarrhea?
You may have heard of the BRAT diet, which stands for banana, rice, applesauce, and toast. It’s a great way to get your electrolytes back up if you’ve been on the run for a few days.
If you’re feeling hungry after a bout of diarrhea, try eating small amounts of fruits and veggies until you feel better. You can also try eating yogurt or broth.
If your stomach is upset, take some time to rest and hydrate yourself with fluids. You can also try sipping ginger tea to soothe your stomach.
Foods to avoid during or just after diarrhea
Foods to avoid during or just after diarrhea include:
- Dairy products, including milk and yogurt
- Soy products
- Processed meats (such food can cause gas and cramps)
In this brief guide, we have addressed the question, “how long after diarrhea can you eat normally?” and discussed other questions related to the subject, such as what foods to eat after diarrhea.