In this article, we will answer the question “How to boil scallops?”, how to steam, broil, and deep-fry scallops, how to make Seared Scallops over Succotash, and how to cook scallops on the stovetop.
How to boil scallops?
Boiling is not a method recommended for cooking scallops. It is because scallops are a delicacy and their meat is very fragile.
Scallops need to be cooked quickly over high heat to avoid overcooking. If you must, you can dump the scallops in the boiling water for no more than 2 minutes.
To make more flavorful poached or boiled scallops, use court bouillon, stock, milk, or white wine with herbs as the boiling liquid.
How to steam scallops?
Unlike boiling or poaching, steaming is a method that is recommended for cooking scallops. For this, fill a pot with water, wine, or court bouillon. Throw in some herbs if you want the flavors to infuse into the scallops.
Place a steamer basket onto the pot such that the bottom of the steamer basket does not come in direct contact with the boiling liquid. Place the scallops into the basket and cover it. Let the scallops steam-cook for about 2-3 minutes.
If steaming does not work for you, there are plenty of other ways to cook scallops such as grilling, searing, deep-frying, etc.
How to deep fry scallops?
Season the scallops with salt, pepper, olive oil, and some lemon juice for about 30 minutes. Then dip the scallops in whisked eggs, coat with flour, dip in the eggs again, and do a final coat with breadcrumbs.
Heat the oil to 180°C (375°F). Carefully lower the coated scallops into the hot oil and deep fry until the breadcrumbs become golden brown. Serve warm alongside your favorite dip.
How to make Seared Scallops Over Succotash?
- 2 ears of corn, husked
- 3 tsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 10-oz package of frozen lima beans (safely defrost the lima beans and make sure they are free of added sauces or sodium)
- 2 tbsp minced fresh marjoram, with more for garnish (you can also use fresh basil or Italian parsley)
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp unsalted butter
- 2 lbs bay or sea scallops, patted dry
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- freshly ground pepper
- Remove the corn kernels from the cob. Use a sharp knife for this purpose.
- Heat 1½ tsp oil, onion, and red pepper in a skillet and cook to soften. This should take about 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in corn, zucchini, and lima beans. Cook for about 5-8 minutes. Mix in the marjoram, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Turn off the flame.
- In a frying pan, cook the scallops in 1½ tsp of heated oil and butter. This should take about 6-7 minutes.
- Transfer the succotash onto a serving platter. Place the scallops on top. Sprinkle some salt and pepper and add some marjoram on top if you like.
|Calories per serving||274 kcal|
|Fat||5 g (1g saturated fat)|
|Calories from Fat||15%|
How to cook scallops on the stovetop?
- 1 1/2 pounds of sea scallops (or 4-5 scallops per person would suffice)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter or olive oil
- First, remove the rigid lateral muscles on the scallops that attach them to the shell. Don’t worry if you cannot neatly pull them apart. Ingesting these muscles won’t harm you but it isn’t a pleasant experience due to the chewy and rubber-like texture.
- Grab some paper towels and pat them on the scallops until the scallops are nice and dry. Then rub the salt and pepper on the scallops. Season thoroughly.
- Sizzle some oil and/or butter in a frying pan. Then stir in the seasoned scallops. Refrain from frying too much scallop at once. Overcrowding prevents even cooking.
- Cook the scallops for 2-3 minutes on each side or until you get a nice golden color on the surface. The scallops should feel soft yet cooked. Try not to overcook or you’ll end up with tough and chewy scallops.
- Serve the scallops warm and enjoy.
How to broil scallops in the oven?
- Remove the side membranes from the scallops, pat them dry with paper towels, and cut them in half if needed.
- Thread the scallops on four 8- to 10-inch metal skewers, such that the scallops are ¼-inch apart. Meanwhile, let the broiler preheat.
- Set the skewers onto a buttered and unheated rack of a broiler pan.
- Sprinkle some salt, pepper, and paprika on the scallops and brush them with melted butter.
- The rack should be set 4-inches from the heat and the scallops should be broiled for no more than 8-10 minutes on one side.
- Then turn the skewers, butter the scallops, and broil the other side until opaque.
In this article, we answered the question “How to boil scallops?”, how to steam, broil, and deep-fry scallops, how to make Seared Scallops over Succotash, and how to cook scallops on the stovetop.