In this article, we will answer the question “How to fix undercooked rice in a rice cooker?”, why does my rice remain undercooked, how to fix undercooked rice in the microwave, in the ocean, and on the stove, and how to use a rice cooker for cooking rice.
How to fix undercooked rice in a rice cooker?
It’s easy. If the rice feels undercooked after the cooking time, add some water to make steam. Add less or than or more than ¼ cup of water. This quantity is sufficient to let the rice cook in the steam. It will not make your rice go mushy. Make sure to cook the rice on low this time.
Why does my rice remain undercooked?
There may be various reasons why your rice remains undercooked. It might be because you are not familiar with the working of your rice cooker or simply because the allotted cooking time is not sufficient. The lack of steam formation, due to the addition of less water is also a potential reason why your rice turns out undercooked.
How to fix undercooked rice in the microwave?
- Add the undercooked rice to a microwave-safe bowl.
- Take two paper towels and spray them with water until they are wet. Be careful not to tear them.
- Then place the wet paper towels on top of the rice. Microwave on high for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the bowl using gloves or a tea towel from the microwave, and take off the paper towels.
- If the rice still feels undercooked, wet the paper towels again and repeat the process.
Note that the paper towels do a great job at trapping the steam inside the bowl instead of letting it escape and leaving the rice dry.
Most people would splash the rice with some water and microwave it. But the results may not be that great. The paper towel method makes your rice soft, tender, and fluffy.
How to cook undercooked rice on the stove?
The simple solution is to create some steam again. If the undercooked rice looks moist and there is still some water at the bottom of the pan, you do not need to add extra for steam.
If the rice is undercooked and dry, with no water in the pan, pour some yourself. Then close the pan with its lid and place it over the stovetop on medium-low heat.
Check the rice after 8-10 minutes. If the rice could use more cooking, add some water, and return the lid to the pan. Check after 2-3 minutes.
How to fix undercooked rice in the oven?
If the pan is not completely dried out, put a lid on it, return it to the oven and let the rice cook for about 5 minutes. If the rice feels dry and undercooked, add some water and repeat the process.
If there is excess water in the pan after the rice is cooked, return the rice to the oven but leave the lid so that the water evaporates.
How to use a rice cooker for cooking rice?
The ideal ratio of rice and water for cooking in a rice cooker is 1:1. But the water-absorbing capacity of rice varies with the type of rice.
For example, brown and wild rice needs more water to cook as compared to white polished rice. This is because the brown or wild rice has its husk intact.
Therefore, you must disturb this equal ratio and increase the quantity of water by a notch so that your rice does not turn out undercooked. For such instances, use rice and water in a 1:1 ½ ratio. Follow the steps below to cook your rice in a rice cooker.
- Start by rinsing your rice under cold running water. This step removes any dust and dirt that might be present in your rice. When the water runs clear, move on to the next step.
- Transfer the rice to the rice cooker. Add the calculated amount of water. Season with a teaspoon of salt. The salt will enhance the flavor of the rice.
- Close the rice cooker with its lid. Press “COOK,” and leave undisturbed until done. When the rice is cooked, the rice cooker will automatically adjust to the “Warm” setting.
- It is recommended to let the rice remain in the warm setting for about 10 minutes before opening and lid and fluffing the rice. This will ensure the rice is cooked perfectly, and there is no water remaining in the rice cooker.
- Check the rice for doneness. If they need a little more cooking, pour some water into the rice cooker, close the lid, and allow it to cook for 2-3 minutes. Check again after the allowed time.
In this article, we answered the question “How to fix undercooked rice in a rice cooker?”, why does my rice remain undercooked, how to fix undercooked rice in the microwave, in the ocean, and on the stove, and how to use a rice cooker for cooking rice.